Saturday, June 29, 2013

Anime Evolution 2013

Hey everybody. So, I'm at Anime Evolution 2013 this weekend, touted by some as the revival of the heart and soul of the Vancouver anime convention scene. I'm at table 60 under the moniker Mr. 6MK - the guy with a lot of Adventure Time crap.

Anyways, there was a mascot contest, which led me to drop some bomb-ass art. Hit the jump to check it out!


The stipulations of the contest was as follows:


AE-chan is defined as a fair skinned female with purple hair tied in two buns with an orange ribbon.

Optional: AE-chan’s white pet rabbit, Bun-kun, may also be included in the artwork as long AE-chan herself remains the central focus.



Sounded easy, and I have way too much time on my hands. So to test my mettle, I submitted.

Twice.

Because I have way too much time on my hands.

Here is the first

 The central idea behind this was 'imoutou' - that's essentially 'kid sister' for the straights. Usually this is the foundation for a meek shy little girl who is cute as a button, naive about the world, and all sorts of moe goodness.

Being the obsessive sort with whatever it is I'm drawing, I hashed out the concept a bit more. I mean, if you can't think of drawing a person as anything beyond cool-cool, cute-cute, one-note embodiment of some sort of a TVTrope (CROWNING MOMENT OF DUMBASS PERSONIFIED YEAH) well, to me, I feel that's a little soulless, and all that'd leave you with is a pandering idea of anime, trappings with no personality.

This girl wouldn't be some shrinking violet, she's be outgoing. It's summertime, and so she's wearing a babydoll-style summer dress because it's usually warm. However, this being the north-west coast, it's probably going to rain, which is why she's got the umbrella and the muffler. She's wearing open-toe flats accessorized with the provincial flower, the Pacific Dogwood on them. Rosy cheeks because she's full of that youthful vigor, and her hair's not in buns because I found that somewhat limiting.

In spite of appearances, I took notes for this design was from Ulala - remember the Dreamcast, kids? - and Yoko Littner's face.

For Bun-kun...ehh...alright. I was watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Act One: Phantom Blood at the time, so I made the bunny an homage to Will A Zeppeli. Fabulous.

After clicking submit, I fell into a typical trap of the bored obsessive. You know, "I could've done this better, This could have been twice as rad!" With the tapeworm of ambition wrenched into my sated tract of conceit, so suddenly i was left  hungry to do a second one, hastily and undisciplines.

So here is the second.

I put in too much time on this one disproportionate to the amount of work done, and barely managed to shove it in under the deadline. But as an artist, when the idea seizes you...

Anywho, going into this was was simple, I asked myself, "why do you like anime?" 

Well, Anime was pretty rad. Back in the day. 

Yeah that was about it! Let's make an homage to all the radness!

AE-Chan, as a concept, was inherently kinda limiting. The "-chan" suffix leads - at least in the Wester POV  - a sort of diminished status to be patronized.  As such, I pushed the concept to the limit.

 I wanted to make a mascot that people could respect, a woman like a boss! The big sister of the cool shonen jump hero - maybe even his ridiculously hot mom! 

"AE-Oneesan", she's a fair-skinned female with purple hair, sure, but: 

  • the hairbuns were kinda of infantilizing, so I let the hair hang loose, held in place with a ribbon that trails in the wake of her intended graceful movements.. 
  • Her overcoat and boots carried a DNA motif, the interlocking links of nitrogenous bases 
  • Her katana is a Shirasaya sheathed type with a flower motif - again, the Pacific Dogwoods.
  • Bun-kun is now AE-Oneesan's Stand - or Bankai, or whatever it is the kids are calling it these days. Stretching the definition of 'pet rabbit' to the goddamn limit. ORAORAORAORAORA--!

The aesthetics were again gainaxed. Oneesan was inspired by Gunbuster's Kazumi Amano, and Bun-Kun is essentially her Star Platinum or Killer Queen.

Anyways, excuse the prentension. I'm not under any certainty that I'm going to win or anything. My ability to spot values is kinda wonky and the lineart jobs are a bit suspect. Also the ribbons aren't orange. 

Still, I felt compelled to give the Anime Evolution crowd something a bit different, but I fear I'm getting a little too old for this bizznazz.

If you do so feel inclined to vote for me, you can find the polls in the dealers' hall. 

Hope this is going to be a rad weekend for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment